Are you looking to begin a career with an established and stable local company? We have a GREAT opportunity for you!
Privately held, Great Northern is one of the nation’s largest independent producers of corrugated packaging. For more than five decades, customers have turned to Great Northern for integrated, comprehensive packaging solutions in industrial, commercial and retail markets. Our vision is to help our employees win through personal growth and a shared future. This is an exciting time to join and be a part of our growing team.
In addition to excellent wages the company has a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision; life insurance; long and short term disability; paid time off; holidays; profit sharing and 401(k) with company match. We also offer our employees a safe, clean, friendly environment and room for growth!
Plans, organizes, directs, monitors and controls the financial functions of Great Northern-CF. Develops, implements and maintains financial and information systems to effectively operate the business. Keeps Great Northern Corporation (Appleton) and Chippewa Falls management team and others with a need to know informed of financial and operational results and trends. Actively participates in and contributes to the team concept in operating the Chippewa Falls facility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING. OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED.
- Financial Management: Works closely with Executive Team/GNC to establish financial objectives. Directs the preparation of monthly financial statements (P&L, balance sheet, cash flow statements, etc.) and other periodic reports; monitors and analyzes information, prepares reports, and makes recommendations on special projects as needed or requested by the General Manager or other management team members. Advises the General Manager and operations managers on financial matters in general.
- Accounting Function: Responsible for the overall quality, accuracy and thoroughness of the general/cost accounting and bookkeeping activities of GNC-Chippewa Falls. Includes accounting for departmental activities, inventory, purchasing, job cost, receivables, payables, daily cash control and deposits, bank reconciliation, etc. Ensures the integrity of general ledger, approves monthly journal entries.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing documented policies and procedures.
- Purchasing: Oversees the purchasing functions for all Company materials to ensure appropriate purchasing procedures are followed. Includes raw materials and parts, office supplies, maintenance contracts, physical facilities services and plant equipment.
- Asset Management: Safeguards the financial resources of the business through establishing and monitoring programs for internal controls and general security.
– Ensures that credit is granted according to policy and that amounts owed to the Company are collected promptly.
– Oversees capital acquisition process. Ensures that proper procedures are followed in the determination of need and that financial analysis is completed and approval gained prior to purchases being made.
- Supervises the accounting staff and the administrative assistant. Interviews, hires, orients, trains, coaches, conducts performance appraisals, administers wages, and disciplines employees.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organization structure adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives.
- Manage any outsourced functions.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers. Provides financial training to non-financial managers for them to effectively understand the P&L and how their specific decisions impact the financials.
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations.
- Manage the annual budgeting and forecasting processes.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
- Provides financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
- Keeps current with developments in accounting and corporate tax issues in order to identify potential problems or opportunities. Works with GNC/CPA firm to plan for and efficiently conduct annual review of Company’s accounts. In conjunction with the Accountant, prepares work papers.
- Leverage strengths of the accounting team, clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and departmental goals.
- Handles customer requests for financial information or action.