Are you looking to begin a career with an established and stable local company? We have a GREAT opportunity for you!
Privately held, Great Northern is one of the nation’s largest independent producers of corrugated packaging. For more than five decades, customers have turned to Great Northern for integrated, comprehensive packaging solutions in industrial, commercial and retail markets. Our vision is to help our employees win through personal growth and a shared future. This is an exciting time to join and be a part of our growing team.
In addition to excellent wages the company has a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision; life insurance; long and short term disability; paid time off; holidays; profit sharing and 401(k) with company match. We also offer our employees a safe, clean, friendly environment and room for growth!
Manages and maintains Great Northern’s – CF computer software programs. Responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and implementing the computer programming activities of GNC-Chippewa Falls. Provides for the collection, organization, analysis, and distribution of computerized information and reports. Also assists with maintaining other areas of GNC-CF information systems. Uses good business judgment to make recommendations on computer matters. Effective performance, professionalism, and trust are required to maintain company image.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING. OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED.
- Implements and/or coordinates the design, installation, and maintenance of system software in the most cost-effective manner and with the least impact to Great Northern.
- Oversees the database administration function to ensure data integrity.
- Ensure database dumps are performed daily and copied to long term storage.
- Monitor storage capacity and CPU capacity on database servers and take preventative measures to maintain acceptable levels of performance.
- Create normalized database schemas to meet the needs of Great Northern end users.
- Write maintenance scripts, as need, to ensure database integrity.
- Evaluates information usage and needs. Seeks input on information system needs from managers and employees to increase productivity. Analyze current operations procedures, identify problems, and learn specific requirements such as forms or data input, how data is to be summarized, and format for reports.
- Writes reports and runs queries to meet end user requirements.
- Reviews computer system capabilities and work flow to determine if requested program or program change is possible within existing system. Recommends, develops, and implements changes in software. May assist with changes in hardware, or computer processing as needed.
- Responsible for written documentation on system changes, help programs, and training manuals.
- Diagnoses system software problems, and assists with the diagnoses of system hardware and operator problems. Recommends or performs remedial action to correct problems based on knowledge of system operation. Refers major hardware problems to Corporate IT or outside contractor for correction. Acts as a back-up for troubleshooting repairs, adjustments, etc.
- Writes, performs and records test plans results.
- Assists with the coordination of installations, maintenance contracts, and upgrades. Performs acceptance testing of new computerized systems and post-installation audits of controls in an installed application. May develop computer programs or use software’s report writer to obtain information needed from computer system. Develops controls for new or modified computer applications to prevent inaccurate calculations and data loss and to ensure discovery of errors.
- Designs and establishes disaster recovery procedures to ensure retrieval on all data and system software.
- Consults with software vendors or other consultants to determine best solutions to computing needs within structure of Great Northern. Will consult with hardware vendors as needed.
- Installs and maintains desktop and server operating systems.
- Installs, maintains and monitors the centralized patch management system.
- Maintains detailed documentation and notes on software installs.
- Maintains detailed licensing documentation to maintain data for validation of licensing compliance to ensure audit readiness. Notifies Corporate IT when licensing policies are violated.
- Adheres to IS Department’s ongoing employee training program.