Employees are Our Greatest Asset
Privately held, Great Northern is one of the nation’s largest independent producers of corrugated packaging. For more than five decades, customers have turned to Great Northern Corporation for integrated, comprehensive packaging solutions in industrial, commercial and retail markets.
Great Northern exists to live out the core values established by our founders – integrity, personal growth, entrepreneurial spirit, and a shared future.
Our vision, “We help our employees win through personal growth and a shared future” is a call to action to deliver on building a people-centric culture, developing leaders from within, and sending people home fulfilled about their role and contributions. The “win” for everyone is a trusting and collaborative culture that helps us be at our best every day.
Our mission statement, “We help our customers win by doing what others can’t or won’t” gives us a clear purpose and raises the bar for performance. Doing what others “can’t or won’t” for our customers is demonstrated by a willingness to serve customers, value-added partnerships and proactively developing innovative solutions to our customer’s challenges.
We are excited that you are looking to join our great culture. Here are some details about the position.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
In addition to excellent wages, Great Northern has a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision; life insurance; paid vacation; paid holidays; profit sharing and 401(k) with company match. We also offer our employees a safe, clean, friendly environment and room for growth!
Responsible for assisting and/or filling in for the Distribution Manager as the back-up in the organization and directing of the day-to-day work plan for all inbound and outbound distribution of freight within GNC customer regions to ensure a well coordinated shipping and receiving plan to meet customer delivery specifications and GNC quality and efficiency standards by performing the following duties. During periods where business conditions or volume do not warrant the existence of this position in the shipping office this individual will flex into the Warehouse, or other outside warehouse locations, Fulfillment or at the main Plant, as needed.
- Works with the Distribution Manager in scheduling material handlers and other resources to ensure proper staffing in order to receive and ship products to and from customers and suppliers in a productive and cost-effective manner.
- Schedules product shipments to meet customer needs and requirements, minimizing overall shipping costs and maximizing trailer utilization.
- Closely monitors all aspects of product quality control affected by warehouse and shipping in coordination with other departments.
- Works closely with production scheduler and Fulfillment to appraise workload for incoming and outgoing product to determine availability of finished goods and ability of traffic to meet customer demands.
- Coordinates with account coordinators to meet customer demands regarding rush orders, delivery dates, make and hold releases, etc.
- Assists in informing maintenance department immediately by the most appropriate method of all mechanical problems, aggressively following up to insure problems are resolved quickly and properly.
- Continuously monitors work area for unanticipated hazards and deals with them appropriately.
- Assists with checking for needed materials and supplies and orders as directed by the Distribution Manager, or notifies person responsible for ordering.
- Assists in all aspects of the total quality assurance program and alerts Distribution Manager to any issues applicable to the warehouse/traffic area.
- Suggests beneficial changes in work methods, machinery, equipment, products and services and all aspects of the company’s operations.
- Works with warehouse personnel to coordinate shipping and warehouse activities.
- Is proficient in and able to perform all tasks involved in the day-to-day interaction with 3M’s USS, ASN, and shipment control systems.
- Is proficient in and able to perform all tasks involved in the day-to-day interaction with ordering pallets.
- Is proficient in and able to perform all tasks involved in the daily interaction with UPS, Fed-Ex, and any other shipping systems independently.
- Interacts and works effectively with the PTI dispatch position and all PTI drivers.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- During periods where business conditions or volume do not warrant the existence of this position this individual will;
- Flex into the Warehouse and assist with cycle counts.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Distribution Manager.
Individual must possess: high school diploma or equivalency; 2 to 3 years post high school training in materials management, traffic control, management or related area; or a combination of education/work experience. Experience in the corrugated industry preferred; valid state drivers license; excellent safety record; basic knowledge of DOT/CDL regulations; ability to interact with UPS and Fed-Ex systems effectively, ability to perform mathematical calculations involving adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing fractions, decimals and percentages; computer skills to include ability to efficiently operate multi software programs (excel, word, Imaginera, etc.), ability to follow written, verbal or diagrammatic instructions; excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills; legible handwriting to record information and fill out forms; ability to: plan, prioritize and organize work effectively; work effectively under pressure and time deadlines; analyze problems (not just symptoms), propose reasonable solutions, make logical decisions, carry out decisions made and follow up with feedback where appropriate.
Hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm.
Great Northern is an Equal Opportunity Employer