Employees are Our Greatest Asset
Privately held, Great Northern is one of the nation’s largest independent producers of corrugated packaging. For more than five decades, customers have turned to Great Northern Corporation for integrated, comprehensive packaging solutions in industrial, commercial and retail markets.
Great Northern exists to live out the core values established by our founders – integrity, personal growth, entrepreneurial spirit, and a shared future.
Our vision, “We help our employees win through personal growth and a shared future” is a call to action to deliver on building a people-centric culture, developing leaders from within, and sending people home fulfilled about their role and contributions. The “win” for everyone is a trusting and collaborative culture that helps us be at our best every day.
Our mission statement, “We help our customers win by doing what others can’t or won’t” gives us a clear purpose and raises the bar for performance. Doing what others “can’t or won’t” for our customers is demonstrated by a willingness to serve customers, value-added partnerships and proactively developing innovative solutions to our customer’s challenges.
We are excited that you are looking to join our great culture. Here are some details about the position.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
In addition to excellent wages, Great Northern has a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision; life insurance; paid vacation; paid holidays; profit sharing and 401(k) with company match. We also offer our employees a safe, clean, friendly environment and room for growth!
We are seeking a 3rd shift Maintenance Technician.
In this role, you will be responsible for performing semi-routine maintenance tasks for the Plant Operations facility and for Administrative Offices facility. Some on-call support may be needed.
- Troubleshoot and repair mechanical breakdowns related to plant operations machinery, and hydraulic and pneumatic equipment.
- Troubleshoot and repair minor electrical outages related to plant operations equipment and corporate office electrical needs.
- Perform basic plumbing repair as required including plugged sewer lines and minor sewer repair.
- Perform welding repair as required on plant operations machinery and related equipment.
- Assist in general repair, alteration, small-scale new construction and preventative maintenance work.
- Shovel snow and operates snow blower equipment as required.
- Visually inspect and test machinery and equipment.
- Follow safe operating procedures and all safety rules in accordance with Company policy and in accordance with OSHA rules and regulations.
- Maintain a neat, clean and orderly; cleans up after completing maintenance work throughout the plant.
- Monitor unusual sounds from machines or equipment to detect malfunctions and discuss machine operation variations with Supervisors or other Maintenance Workers to diagnose problem or repair machine.
- Dismantle defective machines and equipment.
- Inspect and measure machine parts to detect wear, misalignment, dimensional requirements or other problems.
- Remove, repair and replace worn or defective parts, mechanisms and systems.
- Realign and adjust functional parts, components, devices and control adjustments.
- Start machines and equipment to test operation following repair.
- Perform routine maintenance on all machines by cleaning and lubricating shafts, bearings, gears and other parts of the machinery.
- Install and repair electrical apparatus, such as wiring, and electrical components of machinery and equipment.
- Lay out, assemble, install, and maintain pipe systems and related hydraulic and pneumatic equipment.
- Replace gauges, valves, pressure regulators, and related equipment.
- Repair and maintain the facilities (inside and outside of building).
- Set up and operate machine tools such as lathe, grinder, drill and milling machine to repair or fabricate machine parts, jigs, fixtures and tools.
- Fabricate and repair counters, benches, partitions, and other fixtures or structures.
- Initiate purchase orders for parts, equipment and machines.
- Participate and is certified as a member of the First Responders Committee and the HAZMAT team.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Certificate in maintenance related technical field and/or 2-4 years of related work experience and/or the equivalent combination of both.
- Ability to use a personal computer.
- Familiarity with Maintenance Management Software/Systems.
- Above average aptitude applicable to the methods, practices, tools and materials used in building, mechanical, maintenance and repair work.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Mechanical and spatial aptitude required.
- Demonstrated performance and self-motivation to assume greater responsibility and work output to achieve results.
- Commitment to ethical business standards and personal integrity.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and provide work direction to others.
- Must be self-motivated and self-directed.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills and ability to work effectively with internal customers, vendors and contractors
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to move from one task/assignment on short notice, comfortable in a fast-moving environment.
- Ability to understand and carry out basic oral and written instructions made and follows up with feedback where appropriate.
Monday-Thursday, 9:30 p.m. to 8 a.m.
Great Northern is an Equal Opportunity Employer