Employees are Our Greatest Asset
Privately held, Great Northern is one of the nation’s largest independent producers of corrugated packaging. For more than five decades, customers have turned to Great Northern Corporation for integrated, comprehensive packaging solutions in industrial, commercial and retail markets.
Great Northern exists to live out the core values established by our founders – integrity, personal growth, entrepreneurial spirit, and a shared future.
Our vision, “We help our employees win through personal growth and a shared future” is a call to action to deliver on building a people-centric culture, developing leaders from within, and sending people home fulfilled about their role and contributions. The “win” for everyone is a trusting and collaborative culture that helps us be at our best every day.
Our mission statement, “We help our customers win by doing what others can’t or won’t” gives us a clear purpose and raises the bar for performance. Doing what others “can’t or won’t” for our customers is demonstrated by a willingness to serve customers, value-added partnerships and proactively developing innovative solutions to our customer’s challenges.
We are excited that you are looking to join our great culture. Here are some details about the position.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
In addition to excellent wages, Great Northern has a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision; life insurance; paid vacation; paid holidays; profit sharing and 401(k) with company match. We also offer our employees a safe, clean, friendly environment and room for growth!
Loads, unloads and moves materials within or near plant, yard or warehouse by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING. OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED.
- Operates industrial fork lift truck to load and unload materials and product to/from trucks and trailers, checking for proper material, count and quality.
- Utilizes the production schedule on forklift computer and/or the shipping Pick List and follows oral instructions to ascertain which orders will be staged, loaded, unloaded or warehoused.
- Loads product for customer pickup and prepares common carrier and UPS, SPEE DEE Fed Ex deliveries for shipment.
- Loads materials into trailers properly to prevent shifting or damage in transit, installing stabilizer bars as needed.
- Rebuilds units, replaces broken banding and generally improves damaged units to meet shipping requirements and GNC quality guidelines.
- Checks in raw materials received, visually checking for damage or other problems, re-tags units with the proper Load Tag as needed and stages in designated area.
- Checks in finished product from vendors, using the check out sheet for that order, re-tags unit with the proper bar code tag and stages in designated area.
- Stacks and rearranges product to make the best use of available space.
- Checks finished units coming down the auto bander line for neatness, uniformity, load tags and proper banding.
- Notifies production supervisors and production material handlers of the arrival of outstanding orders.
- Notifies production scheduler of any order discrepancies.
- Keeps raw material and finished product storage areas and aisles neat, clean and orderly.
- Informs supervisors and production scheduler when trucks have arrived and what product is needed for production and shipping.
- Uses production run schedule on forklift computer to stage raw material in production area for next day run.
- Keeps machine lines stocked with raw materials following production run schedule.
- Uses Bills of Lading to enter product received into Order Manager and scans the orders to the bay location.
- Follows all quality procedures for accuracy and quality.
- Checks forklift fluid levels and safety devices daily and keeps forklift clean and blown down of dust accumulation.
- Changes LP tanks safely, following written guidelines.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Individual must possess: High School diploma or equivalency; ability to operate a fork lift; ability to perform mathematical calculations involving adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing fractions, decimals and percentages; ability to follow written, verbal or diagrammatic instructions; good interpersonal and verbal communication skills; legible handwriting to record information and fill out forms; ability to solve problems and make adjustments regarding equipment, processes, procedures, and product conformity to meet specifications and quality standards; ability to deal with deadline pressures and multiple tasks.
Persons must be able to work 40+ hours weekly. 2nd and 3rd shift positions are available!