Employees are Our Greatest Asset
Privately held, Great Northern is one of the nation’s largest independent producers of corrugated packaging. For more than five decades, customers have turned to Great Northern Corporation for integrated, comprehensive packaging solutions in industrial, commercial and retail markets.
Great Northern exists to live out the core values established by our founders – integrity, personal growth, entrepreneurial spirit, and a shared future.
Our vision, “We help our employees win through personal growth and a shared future” is a call to action to deliver on building a people-centric culture, developing leaders from within, and sending people home fulfilled about their role and contributions. The “win” for everyone is a trusting and collaborative culture that helps us be at our best every day.
Our mission statement, “We help our customers win by doing what others can’t or won’t” gives us a clear purpose and raises the bar for performance. Doing what others “can’t or won’t” for our customers is demonstrated by a willingness to serve customers, value-added partnerships and proactively developing innovative solutions to our customer’s challenges.
We are excited that you are looking to join our great culture. Here are some details about the position.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
In addition to excellent wages, Great Northern has a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision; life insurance; paid vacation; paid holidays; profit sharing and 401(k) with company match. We also offer our employees a safe, clean, friendly environment and room for growth!
We are seeking a 1st Shift Material Handler responsible for efficiently and accurately pulling material for production orders, performing material stocking and material handling operations throughout the Plant Operations facility and the Warehouse/Distribution facility.
- Separate and route products to assembly or to inventory.
- Put away inventory in the appropriate locations and record the transactions in the computer system.
- Verify shipping plan with Delivery Receipt before releasing shipment.
- Make sure Special Instructions are followed.
- Perform established quality inspections i.e. units that are not properly packaged for shipment need to be processed through our “Shipment Integrity” station.
- Perform the required daily machine and work area maintenance as directed, ensure that aisles are swept, and trash is discarded when discovered. Keep exits and aisles clear and accessible at all times.
- Participate in periodic staff meetings as required of the position. Participate in periodic development and training programs as required.
- Operate forklift to transport materials.
- Keep Safety in mind at all times and report any potential hazards to your supervisor or Safety committee member immediately.
- Approachable and supportive when working with others.
- Daily forklift pre-shift inspection.
- Unload Incoming purchased product.
- Receiving and inspection of incoming product using Imaginera software.
- Disposition of received product using Top Gun to locate properly.
- Perform a variety of miscellaneous job-related tasks as may be assigned from time-to-time by a Management Representative.
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- 2-3 years’ experience and/or training in a warehouse environment preferred.
- Current forklift certification or ability to obtain within 30 days.
- Knowledge of material handling operations, methods and best practices.
- Ability to read English and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure, manuals and order specifications.
- Ability to add, subtract multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percentages.
- Mechanical and spatial aptitude. Attention to detail, accuracy and quality. Enthusiasm, dedication, reliability and punctuality required.
- Self-directed, takes initiative in seeking efficiencies of processes; follow through on implementation.
- Ability to move from task/assignment to another on short notice.
- Personal computer skills using a variety of Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to use computer keyboard/typing skills.
- Ability to function effectively in a team-oriented environment.
- Able to regularly sit, stand, walk, bend, stoop, turn/twist at the waist, reach, climb and crawl.
- Manual dexterity is required in the use and operation of hand and power tools and related plant machinery and equipment.
- Able to lift/carry weights up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to climb and perform work related tasks from ladders.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Monday-Friday 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Great Northern is an Equal Opportunity Employer