Note: This position will report to either the Chippewa Falls, WI location or our Swedesboro, NJ location.
Employees are Our Greatest Asset
Privately held, Great Northern is one of the nation’s largest independent producers of corrugated packaging. For more than five decades, customers have turned to Great Northern Corporation for integrated, comprehensive packaging solutions in industrial, commercial and retail markets.
Great Northern exists to live out the core values established by our founders – integrity, personal growth, entrepreneurial spirit, and a shared future.
Our vision, “We help our employees win through personal growth and a shared future” is a call to action to deliver on building a people-centric culture, developing leaders from within, and sending people home fulfilled about their role and contributions. The “win” for everyone is a trusting and collaborative culture that helps us be at our best every day.
Our mission statement, “We help our customers win by doing what others can’t or won’t” gives us a clear purpose and raises the bar for performance. Doing what others “can’t or won’t” for our customers is demonstrated by a willingness to serve customers, value-added partnerships and proactively developing innovative solutions to our customer’s challenges.
We are excited that you are looking to join our great culture. Here are some details about the position.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
In addition to excellent wages, Great Northern has a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision; life insurance; paid vacation; paid holidays; profit sharing and 401(k) with company match. We also offer our employees a safe, clean, friendly environment and room for growth!
Graphic Design Manager
Produces graphic designs to fulfill customer requirements on graphic projects; provides a high level of self directed leadership and strength in creative contribution. Develops finished art based on customer requirements, manufacturing capabilities, and material constraints. Works with sales, customers, graphic design manager to solve display and packaging problems presented by customers. Works with graphic design manager, and VP of Sales Development to develop sales tools, flyers, advertisements, etc. Services design requests in accordance with GNC service, quality, and efficiency standards by performing the following duties.
- Design customer artwork based on requests from customers, sales, graphic design manager, and VP of Sales Development through the use of computer programs.
- Maintains a high level of customer interaction. Working to aid our sales force and the customer in understanding their end goal and providing solutions.
- Is self directed and strives for the highest levels of creativity and leadership among their peers as well as Graphic Designers of a lower rank.
- Develops presentation sketches for customer presentations via computer and freehand, requiring an advanced level of 3D rendering skills.
- Maintain a continuous improvement environment, seeking course work, seminars and other training to bring industry state-of-the-art techniques and technologies to the forefront of daily work, including making recommendations for other staff in the Graphic department.
- Oversee daily work execution and be responsible for complete, correct and on-time execution of work by self and more junior graphic designers.
- Balances their own workload, contacting the Graphic Design Manager and Account Manager when necessary to ensure projects are done in a timely fashion and take on special assignments to aid the department or special customer specific assignments.
- Facilitate brainstorming sessions both in-house and with customers.
- Develops customer prototypes by printing, pasting, cutting, and assembling samples as required for customer presentations.
- Prepares technical illustrations for use in set-up instructions for display orders.
- Evaluates, through pre-flight processes, all incoming customer artwork for production effectiveness.
- Handles graphic department network responsibilities with the IS department and outside contractors to assure our computer systems are effective and operational at all times.
- Plan and execute regular store audits to evaluate competitive benchmarks as well as establish design directions for new and/or existing customers on at least a bi-monthly basis if not monthly.
- Lead presentations in design, creativity and design techniques for other design staff (including but not limited to structural designers) as well as other non-design staff at the company.
- Mentors more junior Graphic Designers and interns to aid in their growth as designers.
- Steps in for the Graphic Design Manager when needed (i.e. vacations or during times of meeting conflicts).
- Collaborate with the Swedesboro and Chippewa Falls graphic design team on projects that require additional creativity for either party, and/or to assist with workload demands. It is imperative that as a team we remain inclusive versus exclusive.
- Regular and reliable attendance to include working the necessary hours to provide the highest level of work quality as well as volume of deliverables to exceed customer lead time expectations.
- Represent the company with professionalism and creativity.
Individual must possess: Skills equal to a Graphic Designer that has at least 5 years of relevant experience along with a college degree BA/BS in Graphic Arts, or 7+ years of experience with similar Associates degree in Graphic Design with demonstrated industry experience. Must have an advanced level of 3D rendering skills and be capable of obtaining a solid skill level with Strata 3D within a few days of exposure to the program and able to handle multiple renderings or layouts in a short amount of time. Must demonstrate a high degree of skill in freehand illustration and artistic expressional use of color, typography and imagery. Must show creative and innovative skills. Must be able to perform mathematical calculations involving adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing fractions, decimals and percentages; ability to perform algebraic and geometric calculations. Senior Graphic Designers will work independently on projects or as part of a group; prioritize and handle multiple tasks; solve problems and makes adjustments regarding materials and processes; deal with deadline pressures; develop full design solutions (from concept to production work). Additionally, will actively participate in the growth of the department’s creativity and the outward packaging of the department to the corporation and its customers. This position requires a high degree of knowledge about the company and industry, and requires integrity regarding confidential and proprietary information. At this level, individuals must have excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills for a higher level of customer interaction, working to aid the customer in understanding their end goal and providing solution. If applicable, manage more junior designers in the department as to daily priorities and expectations.
Great Northern is an Equal Opportunity Employer