Are you looking to begin a career with an established and stable local company? We have a GREAT opportunity for you!
Privately held, Great Northern is one of the nation’s largest independent producers of corrugated packaging. For more than five decades, customers have turned to Great Northern for integrated, comprehensive packaging solutions in industrial, commercial and retail markets. Our vision is to help our employees win through personal growth and a shared future. This is an exciting time to join and be a part of our growing team.
In addition to excellent wages the company has a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision; near-site clinic; life insurance; long and short term disability; paid time off; holidays; profit sharing and 401(k) with company match. We also offer our employees a safe, clean, friendly environment and room for growth!
Supervises the accounting department employees. Trains, coaches, conducts performance appraisals, administers wages, and disciplines employees. Monitors daily activities of accounting dept. employees to ensure work is performed timely and accurately. Meets with managers and employees regularly to get their input on ways to improve Company operations and administration. Provides moral support and reinforces team concept while managing for effectiveness. May involve filling in for an absent employee at times. Actively participates in and contributes to the team concept in operating the Chippewa Falls facility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING. OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED.
- Financial Management: Works closely with controller to establish financial objectives. Assists controller with the preparation of monthly financial statements (P&L, balance sheet, cash flow statements, etc.) and other periodic reports; monitors and analyzes information, prepares reports, and makes recommendations on special projects as needed or requested by the controller, General Manager or other management team members. Advises the controller on transactional performance of the team and other financial matters in general.
- Accounting Function: Responsible for the overall quality, accuracy and thoroughness of the general/cost accounting and bookkeeping activities of GNC CF. Directs the processing of financial transactions. Includes accounting for departmental activities, inventory, job cost, receivables, payables, daily cash control and deposits, cash activity reconciliation, etc. Ensures the integrity of general ledger including monthly balance sheet reconciliations. Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts.
- Reviews, investigates and corrects errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents and reports prior to distribution.
- Coordinates the month-end close process including inventory valuation, accruals analysis, proper revenue & expense cut-off, and P&L allocations.
- Cross trains in each of the accounting functions including A/P, A/R, collections, P/R to gain a deep understanding of the processes/systems/customer & vendor base/order to cash cycle. Ability to perform all accounting functions for short term due to department absences.
- Maintains a working understanding of the estimating system, data system files and information transfer between the systems. Assist with ongoing maintenance of the cost estimating system.
- Prepares operational and financial analysis for location leadership and works with leadership to drive changes as a result of this analysis.
- Work jointly with the Controller on the annual financial audit, sales tax audits, and income tax reporting.
- Assess the educational needs of the department and ensure staff successfully completes training. Implement automation and process improvements to reduce redundancy. Cross train staff to ensure each position has adequate back up.
- Keeps current with developments in accounting and corporate tax issues in order to identify potential problems or opportunities. Works with controller and GNC/CPA firm to plan for and efficiently conduct annual review of Company’s accounts. Prepares work papers.
- Handles customer requests for financial information or action.
- Assists the Controller with the annual budget and quarterly forecasts, including participation in budget meetings and fiscal reviews.