Employees are Our Greatest Asset
Privately held, Great Northern is one of the nation’s largest independent producers of corrugated packaging. For more than five decades, customers have turned to Great Northern Corporation for integrated, comprehensive packaging solutions in industrial, commercial and retail markets.
Great Northern exists to live out the core values established by our founders – integrity, personal growth, entrepreneurial spirit, and a shared future.
Our vision, “We help our employees win through personal growth and a shared future” is a call to action to deliver on building a people-centric culture, developing leaders from within, and sending people home fulfilled about their role and contributions. The “win” for everyone is a trusting and collaborative culture that helps us be at our best every day.
Our mission statement, “We help our customers win by doing what others can’t or won’t” gives us a clear purpose and raises the bar for performance. Doing what others “can’t or won’t” for our customers is demonstrated by a willingness to serve customers, value-added partnerships and proactively developing innovative solutions to our customer’s challenges.
We are excited that you are looking to join our great culture. Here are some details about the position.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
In addition to excellent wages, Great Northern has a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision; life insurance; paid vacation; paid holidays; profit sharing and 401(k) with company match. We also offer our employees a safe, clean, friendly environment and room for growth!
Negotiable based on experience.
Supervises and coordinates activities of GNC-Oshkosh shift personnel, machinery and equipment operation, work methods, processes and environment including: orientation, training, evaluation, job performance counseling, discipline, time standards, safety and motivation as necessary or appropriate by performing the following duties.
- Supervises the employees, machinery or equipment, work methods, raw materials and work environment. Investigates and takes prompt action when problems related to safety, product quality, equipment failure or material waste and scrap disrupt efficiency. Keeps the Production Manager informed of such incidents and executes corrective actions to prevent similar problems from happening in the future.
- Facilitates a positive teamwork based atmosphere with high expectations for safety, quality, productivity, waste.
- Provides performance reviews with employees and makes recommendations for wage modifications.
- Conducts recognition, discipline, explanation and enforcement of rules, and new worker orientation.
- Reviews daily work load to determine manpower requirements, coordinating job assignments. Coordinates staffing with scheduler and production manager to meet daily business needs.
- Analyzes daily production, taking immediate action to improve substandard performance.
- Monitors all aspects of product quality, incorporating set-up and run procedures on all operations and performing ongoing quality spot checks. Coaches team members to solve quality problems.
- Investigates production reporting errors, determines causes and pursues corrections.
- Insures facility and equipment are kept in good, neat and clean condition by conscientiously following all company housekeeping and maintenance programs, using initiative to take appropriate additional action.
- Informs maintenance department immediately by the most appropriate method of all mechanical or electrical problems, aggressively following up to insure problems are resolved quickly and properly.
- Supervises and actively assists in training and retraining employees, persisting until satisfied with employees’ competence. Counsels employees regarding job performance, promptly recommending transfer or termination if he/she believes employee is incapable of learning to properly perform the job.
- Participates in the safety program by serving as an active member of the safety committee and by constantly taking the initiative to require and demand immediate compliance with all safety rules, regulations and policies. Continuously monitors work area for unanticipated hazards and deals with them appropriately. Understands that he/she has the authority and responsibility to immediately suspend any activity he/she feels constitutes a serious safety hazard.
- Thoroughly investigates safety incidents and near misses to determine root cause and takes ownership in completing corrective actions to prevent the issue from reoccurring.
- Monitors the overall work process (workers, machinery or equipment, methods, raw materials, environment) to insure production run times are less than or equal to established standards, investigating to determine the cause of substandard performance and taking action to prevent recurrence of the problem. Jobs exceeding time standards should be investigated and coached.
- Completes all corrective actions and customer complaints in a timely manner. Working in conjunction with the Quality/CI to determine assignable cause, action plan and closing items out in the system.
- Understand and complies with all GMP, Food Safety, Food Defense and SQF guidelines. Ensures all personnel, visitor and contractors are complying with these guidelines when on the production floor. Takes corrective actions and issues necessary discipline for violations found.
- Checks needed materials and supplies and orders as needed or notifies person responsible for ordering.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Individual must possess: high school diploma or equivalency; one to two years experience as a supervisor or lead
- Three years experience in paper packaging industry preferred
- Leadership or technical degree preferred
- Excellent safety record desired
Alternating between 5am-2pm and 4pm-1am every two weeks. Weekend supervision duties required approximately 6 times a year.
Great Northern is an Equal Opportunity Employer